Friday, February 1, 2013

I'm terrified of the Government

I even titled this post Government with a capital "G".

I filed my taxes weeks early this year. I used an online tax preparation and filing service. The system walked me though all the possible deductions and credits and this year I discovered 2 student tax credits. One for $1,500 and one for $2,500. You can't claim them both in the same year, but you can claim each for 3 years, I believe. So I thought to myself, wait a minute....I've been a real student since 2011. Did they have the credit in 2011? THEY DID. And for some reason, I totally missed it.

About 3 days after I e-filed my 2012 taxes, I mailed a hard copy amendment to my 2011 taxes. And now I'm TERRIFIED that the IRS is going to think I'm up to something and they're going to keep my refund and charge me some sort of fuck you fee for trying to bilk them out of $2,500. I know how the IRS is!! A few years ago they garnished my wages because there was some discrepancy with a filing from when I was married to whats-his-face. In fact, the error wasn't even mine, but because *I* was the one who was employed and *I* was the one with the income and it was a joint return, they consider each party 100% responsible, not 50% for him and 50% for her. I just hope they look at my mailed amendment, say "oh, she's right on this one", send me the money and forget about me until January 2014.

However, since I have the Luck of the Seven Whores, I'll probably have them show up at my door and arrest me for impersonating a grown up.  FML.

EDITED:

HOOOOOOOOOLY SHITBALLS!!! SEE? I think they're monitoring my every move!!  Not 30 minutes after I posted this blog, I received the following email:

On Monday, January 28, 2013, the IRS announced that it has added Form 8863 to the list of delayed forms that cannot be submitted to the IRS until mid-February (an official date has not been determined). http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/List-of-IRS-forms-that-1040-filers-can-begin-filing-in-late-February-or-into-March-2013

Since the return you have submitted to TaxACT contained Form 8863, Education Credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits), and it was ACCEPTED by the IRS, the IRS will hold it until they are able to process Form 8863 in mid-February. You do not need to take any additional action at this time.

O_O

GAAAAH!!!!! I need to go find my tinfoil hat!!  BYE!


EDITED AGAIN:

It is now February 22nd and the mutha-fuckin' IRS still hasn't run me my money. The worst part? I can even write a nasty letter to them. I'm behind the goddamn 8-ball and there's nothing to do but shut up and wait. PINCHE' IRS!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment